Wexford Youths 1 – 0 Limerick 37


Friday 16th May 2008

Gavin Doyle’s ninth-minute strike gave Wexford Youths victory over Limerick 37 in this eircom League First Division game played at Ferrycarrig Park.

Wexford Youths dominated the opening exchanges and got the dream start with a rather fortuitous goal.

Centre-forward Paul Murphy first held the ball up and then laid it off into the path of Stuart Lawlor. His high cross was mis-hit back across goal by Gavin Doyle and dropped into the opposite corner of the net, leaving keeper Dave Ryan helpless.

The home side were dictating the play but they were unable to increase their lead despite the dominance of Conor Sinnott and Marty Kelly in midfield, while up front Paul Murphy always posed a threat.

Limerick began to respond to the challenge with Paraic Fogarty and Ross Cosgrove becoming more prominent in midfield. Indeed, it was Cosgrove who should have equalised in the 35th minute – under pressure from two defenders he lifted the ball over advancing keeper Jason Russell but also over the top.

Wexford Youths enjoyed the early second half pressure with both Richie Fitzgerald on 48 minutes and Gavin Doyle twelve minutes later forcing saves out of keeper Ryan, while at the opposite end the Limerick struggle continued in front of goal, with sub Willie Bruton heading a Derek Mulcahy cross into the side netting.

The home side may have lived dangerously, but they held out for a first victory over Limerick in nine meetings, with Limerick having substitute Manjor dismissed on 88 minutes.

Wexford Youths: Jason Russell, Stuart Lawlor, Anthony Russell, Patsy Malone, Paul Rossiter (Joey Wadding 90), Craig McGuire, Marty Kelly, Conor Sinnott, Gavin Doyle, Paul Murphy (Kyle Dempsey 84), Richie Fitzgerald (Johnny Flynn-O’Connor 69)

Limerick 37: Dave Ryan, Brendan Daly, Paul Danagher, Tommy Barrett, Brian Cleary, Wayne Colbert (Willie Bruton 45), Paraic Fogarty, Ross Cosgrove, Darren Harrington, Derek McCarthy (Chukwama Manjor 73), James Hayes

Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin)