Waterford United 3 – 1 Limerick 37

Friday 4th April 2008

Waterford United maintained their unbeaten record and climbed to joint top of the table when they got the better of Limerick at the RSC in the first league derby between these two Munster rivals in five years.

United opened the scoring on 44 minutes. Robbie Clarke laid off the ball to Karl Bermingham who threaded it on to Michael Foley and his cross from the left found Willie John Kiely who directed a flashing header to the net from six yards.

The Blues increased their lead after a very controversial decision just before the hour when the linesman flagged for a throw that clearly had not crossed the line, from the throw Foley found Dave Warren who flicked on the ball to Bermingham and, from fifteen yards; he directed a lovely, weighted ball under the body of the advancing goalkeeper Dave Ryan.

The points were wrapped up ten minutes from time when a Gary Dunphy free was headed out of defence by Shane Treacy but only as far as David Breen who sent the ball back to Kiely and he vollied to the net from eight yards.

Bermingham received a straight red card from referee Derek Tomney for dissent on 84 minutes.

Limerick received a consolation goal from the penalty spot on 93 minutes when Kenny Browne upended Wayne Colbert and Shane Treacy made no mistake with a low hard shot to the right of the goalkeeper.

United almost snatched an early goal after five minutes following a clever one-two between Bermingham and Foley but Bermingham’s powerful, angled drive was well saved by the goalkeeper.

The visitors could well have opened their account on 21 minutes when Paul Danaher was afforded a free header in front of goal but he rushed his effort and directed the ball over the bar.

Five minutes before half-time, Warren swung over a corner from the left and Kenny Browne rose above everybody in a crowded area but Brendan Daly headed off the Limerick line.

Just on the stroke of half-time, almost from the kick-off following the goal, Limerick surged forward and almost equalised but Packie Holden pulled off an excellent save to keep out a flying header from Darren Harrington.

Two minutes into the second half, Limerick’s Willie Bruton shook off Browne and produced an explosive burst of speed to create a one-on-one situation with Holden but the goalkeeper rushed off his line and got down to smother the ball.

Waterford United: Holden, Quigley, Clarke, Breen, Brown, Warren (Waters 76), Fitzgerald (Dunphy, 59 minutes), McCarthy (Fitzpatrick, half-time), Bermingham, Kiely, Foley
Substitutes not used: Grincell, Mulcahy

Limerick: D.M. Ryan, White (Cosgrave 62), Tracey, Danaher, T. Barrett, L. Barrett, Colbert, Daly, Harrington (Manjor 62), Bruton, Fogarty (D. Ryan, 62)
Substitutes not used: Cleary, Fitzpatrick