Waterford United 3 – 1 Limerick 37

Limerick started brightly in a game that saw club captain Pat Purcell make his first start of the year following injury. It was Limerick that played all the soccer from the kick off before taking the lead after five minutes thanks to an excellent team goal that saw Limerick man of the match Paul Walsh head in at the far post from a John Tierney cross. Jamie Wunsch, making his first start for the Super Blues following the player’s move from Cobh Ramblers in the transfer window, had to go off injured with what looked to be a hamstring tear. Paul Danaher, who was left out for the first time this season, came on at centre back.

Gary Sheahan should have doubled the advantage 5 minutes later when Tommy Barrett put him through on goal, but his shot was straight at the Waterford keeper.

Waterford equalised with there first chance on goal on 13 minutes following a dive in the area by Grincell, no free out was awarded and Waterford crossed through ex-Limerick player Kevin Waters and the finish was supplied by the head of Karl Berminghan at the back post.

Limerick found themselves unfairly behind on 39 minutes after Paul Walsh was tackeled from behing in midfield, the referee again waved play on, to the amazement of the travelling support. Waterford finished clinically from Grincell after he rounded Dave Ryan to slot home.

Gary Sheahan was unlucky on the hour mark after a poor back pass from Waterford was left short and their keeper just made it to the ball before him to clear. Waterford went 3-1 up on 73 minutes after Grincell was given too much time on the edge of the box and he curled his shot into the bottom left corner of the goal.

After 84 minutes, Limerick must have known it wasn’t going to be their night when Paul Danaher’s headed effort cannoned off the crossbar, then the rebound was volleyed by Paul Walsh, his shot was taken off the line by the Waterford defender. The ball then fell to Limerick’s Tommy Barrett, who also saw his shot swept off the line by John Hayes, before Wayne Colbert shot wide from six yards.

This was the last real chance for Limerick and the super blues will hope they can stop giving away soft goals which has seemed to plague them for the past few games.

Waterford United: Packie Holden, Stephen Quigley (Kieran Fitzgerald 57), Kevin Waters, David Breen, Kenny Browne, Dave Warren, John Hayes, Luke Fitzpatrick, Karl Bermingham, David Grincell (Willie John Kiely 77), Michael Foley (Robbie Clarke 64).
Subs not used: Joe Mulcahy, Ben Spicer.

Limerick 37: Dave Ryan, Brendan Daly (Stephen Goggin 45), Brian Cleary, Jamie Wunsch (Paul Danaher 15), Pat Purcell, Wayne Colbert, Tommy Barrett, Paul Walsh, Colin Scanlan (James Hayes 60), Gary Sheahan, John Tierney.
Subs not used: Peter White, Kevin Fitzpatrick.