LFC In Interprovincial Success

Reports From Munster's Interprovincial Success

Nine Limerick FC Under-19 players were part of the 17-man Munster squad which won the Interprovincial Cup in Donegal on Sunday afternoon.

The below reports are thanks to Declan Cusack, father of one of our players in the squad, Evan.

Munster’s record spoke for itself, scoring nine goals and conceding only two.

Munster 1-0 Leinster

Munster’s first match was against Leinster on the Friday evening in Letterkenny. The Leinster side as always looked very composed from the start. The Leinster lads looked to be a class outfit and were dominating proceedings. Munster’s back four were soaking up the pressure and playing out from the back in a very calm fashion, led by Paudie O’Connor and Connor O’Dwyer .Munster captain Shane Walsh started to impose himself in the midfield. Walsh, aka “ Walla”, disrupted the Leinster midfield and was bossing midfield at the break. The teams went in even at the break.

When the second half resumed, Munster were starting to get the upper hand and open up the Leinster defence with hard work from Evan Shine and Ross Mann. Twenty minutes from time, a Munster corner from Evan Cusack to the near post was steered skilfully by O’Connor to the back of the net. The Munster lads worked hard until the end of the match to keep their advantage and record their first victory of the weekend.

Munster 3-0 Ulster

The scoreline doesn’t reflect the match between these two sides. Ulster were a class act with some fabulous players, especially their left-winger who was always dangerous. This victory was down to the Management team of Munster. Frank Kelleher set up his team to soak up the pressure in defence and counter-attack. Fifteen minutes in, that’s exactly what happened when Ross Mann from Limerick FC broke down the right and passed a perfect ball to Evan Shine who coolly laid off the ball to the Munster No6 who blasted it to the corner.

The second half began as the first had finished, with Ulster pressing for an equaliser and Munster countering. On 65 minutes, Kelleher made three substitutions up front. The fresh legs made an instant impact on the game as the Ulster full-backs tired and the Munster attack started to open them up. With 15 minutes on the clock, a break down the left wing by Munster resulted in a perfect pass to Evan Cusack who slipped past the center-half and left the ‘keeper flatfooted as he smashed the ball into the corner of the goal. Minutes from time, Munster finished off their opponents with a beautiful finish from a Waterford striker with the outside of the boot, giving the Ulster ‘keeper no chance.

Munster 5-2 Connaught

The final day saw Munster dominate proceedings with two fine goals from Ross Mann.

To put this victory into perspective, according to Frank Kelleher it’s the first time in 18 years that Munster has won the Interprovincial Trophy. Frank was delighted to lift the trophy. He made special reference to all the Limerick FC lads that were part of the 17-man squad. There were nine boys from Limerick FC in the squad and three others that were selected but couldn’t make the trip. Frank complimented the Limerick FC players’ commitment and dedication to the victory. He described the Limerick lads as role models and gave great praise to the Limerick FC U19 manager Declan Farmer and assistant manager Tommy Barrett for the work and dedication they show their players. Limerick FC under the tutelage of Farmer and Barrett are becoming the new force in underage football in Ireland.