Seán Cusack RIP

Limerick FC Saddened By Passing Of Seán Cusack

Limerick’s League of Ireland Shield winner and one-time Republic of Ireland cap Seán Cusack has sadly passed away. He played with Limerick in the 1940s and 50s.

Cusack, a native of Thomondgate, was part of the Shannonsiders’ first ever national title success when he scored the crucial first goal from the penalty spot in their 3-2 win over Dundalk at Oriel Park in the Shield in November 1953.

That moment came a year after he had been capped by the national team in a friendly against France which ended 1-1 at Dalymount Park in Dublin.

A one-club man, Cusack played his entire senior career with his hometown team, during which time he represented the League of Ireland on four occasions. As well as the Shield, that was an era which saw Limerick collect two Munster Senior Cup titles.

The Shield triumph came against Dundalk as Limerick secured their first major trophy after 17 years in the League, under manager Willie Keane. In the game, the Munster men trailed 2-0 with 25 minutes remaining but Cusack’s penalty reduced the deficit, and in an amazing recovery, within three minutes, Limerick led 3-2 thanks to goals from Georgie Lynam and Paddy ‘Beaver’ Cronin.

That was a lead that they held onto and it saw them claim the Shield championship by a single point from Drumcondra and Shamrock Rovers.

A year earlier, Cusack was among three Limerick-born players to feature against France, alongside Bud Aherne of Luton Town and Johnny Gavin of Norwich City.

The Limerick Leader report of the game noted: “Seán Cusack started as if in a nervous tension. He just could not adapt himself to the swing of things for most of the first half. Having regained his old confidence he stepped up considerably in the second half and did so in a way that suggested his selection as the only League of Ireland player was justified.”

It added: “He actually started the movement that brought Ireland’s goal. He took the ball in his stride in defence. He next flicked it to Ryan, who continued a movement that ended in Johnny Gavin securing a corner kick. Following the clearance of the corner kick taken by Gavin, the ball went to Fitzsimons. He in turn dispatched it back to Gavin whose perfect centre reached the head of centre-forward Fallon. The Celtic man nodded the ball goalwards and it was helped on its flight by Jonquet’s mis-kick.

“It must be remembered that Cusack was faced against the most brilliant footballer on the field. He was (Joseph) Ujlaki, a wizard in slipping a tackle and having a graceful swerve that was difficult to combat.”

Limerick FC sends its sincere condolences to Seán’s family and friends. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Seán’s funeral arrangements (from are as follows: Reposing at Griffin’s Funeral Home, John’s Gate on Tuesday April 1st from 5.30pm. Removal at 7.30pm to St. Munchin’s Church. Funeral on Wednesday April 2nd after 11 am Mass to Mungret Cemetery.

Article Date: Tuesday 1 April 2014