Limerick FC 6 – 0 Wexford Youths

Airtricity League First Division 

Limerick Scorers: Jeffrey Judge (19, 28), Padraic Quinn (45+1), Karl Keogh (55 og), Denis Behan (59 pen, 84).

Friday 23rd September 2011

Limerick continued their push for promotion with a demolition of Wexford Youths in Jackman Park on Friday night. The Blues hit the Slaneysiders for six, with Jeffrey Judge and Denis Behan grabbing a brace each. A Paudie Quinn header and an own goal from Wexford’s Karl Keogh sealed the victory for Lims in what was a masterclass in footballing excellence from the home side.

Limerick took control from the off, with Pat Scully opting to stray away from his normal formation, to adopt the common but effective policy of playing 4-4-2. Denis Behan and Joe Gamble were paired together up front and this partnership would excel throughout. Ironically, it was Wexford who had the first big chance. Danny Furlong had lost his marker, and nipped into the six yard box where a well driven cross was just inches beyond his reach. This was to be the last Wexford chance of the entire game.

The Blues opened the scoring after twenty minutes through Jeffrey Judge. Picking the ball up in midfield, Limerick-born Judge rifled home from all of twenty yards. Despite not featuring in the first team in recent weeks, the young star will have made an impression, and will surely feature in the starting line-up next week.

Judge doubled his tally for the night just nine minutes later with a carbon copy of his first. Blasting the ball into the far corner from virtually the same spot as his opener, Limerick appeared to be coasting inside the half hour mark.

Just as it looked as Wexford would go into the break with a slight hope a comeback, Limerick deflated Noel O’Connor’s men. As Shane Tracy had a sublime volley ruled out for offside, the two-nil scoreline looked likely, however from a Tracy corner, Paudie Quinn made his run to the near post and met the ball perfectly to float it past the hapless Packie Holden in the Wexford goal.

The second half didn’t offer much respite for the Youths either. Just ten minutes after the whistle to start the second half, Limerick were four goals to the good via an unusual source. After a menacing cross from Paudie Quinn, Keogh headed into his own net under pressure from the Limerick strikers. The game was well and truly decided at this stage.

Graham Kelly then decided to award his traditional Jackman Park penalty when Shane Tracy was fouled inside the area. Behan claimed the ball however, not allowing Judge to secure his hat trick. If missed, the Abbeyfeale native may have been slated. His blushes were spared however as he rocketed the ball into the centre of the goal, to secure Limerick’s fifth.

Merciless Limerick toyed with Wexford for the next twenty minutes, rarely conceding possession and playing some fine football. Rory Gaffney put in a fantastic shift for his side, determined in his new role up front throughout. The cherry for the Limerick FC cake was provided by Denis Behan with five minutes to go. Paudie Quinn did all the work on the right wing before supplying Denis Behan with a pin-point cross which he met with a splendid volley to cap off proceedings. Job done for Limerick, who will now look forward to their next game against Mervue with great confidence after their immaculate display.

Limerick FC: Barry Ryan, Shaun Kelly (John Frost 68), Andrew Bhandarkar, Corie Treacy, Pat Purcell (Brian McCarthy 79), Joseph Gamble (Sean Brosnan 89), Jeffrey Judge, Padraic Quinn, Denis Behan, Rory Gaffney, Shane Tracy.
Subs not Used: Shane Cusack, Peter Hynes, David O’Leary, Garbhan Coughlan.

Wexford Youths: Packie Holden, Martin Kehoe, Karl Keogh (Dean Broaders 68), Shane Nolan, Mark Phelan (James Dermody 60), Shane Dempsey, Tom Elmes (Michael Mullen h/t), Paul Malone, Ben Ryan, David Grincell, Danny Furlong.

Referee: Graham Kelly.

Official Attendance: 473.