Limerick FC 0 – 1 St Patrick’s Athletic

Limerick FC Scorers:

St Pat’s Scorers: Anthony Costigan (68)

Friday 12th June 2009

A resilient Limerick FC side nearly brought their Premier Division opposition to a replay at Jackman Park tonight. Limerick had several chances in the first half to wrap up the game but poor finishing in the final third cost Pat Scully’s side from at least a draw.

It was the home who started the brightest with Colin Scanlan coming close in the opening minutes but his effort was brilliantly saved by Gary Rogers.

Limerick began to grow in confidence in front of a large home crowd, and after a domination of possession, Limerick had an excellent opportunity to open the scoring after 22 minutes of play.

An excellent ball over the top from Tommy Barrett was chased down by Limerick striker Colin Scanlan and St Pat’s goalkeeper Gary Rogers. Scanlan was the quickest to the ball but he could only agonisingly watch as his lobbed shot bounced over the bar, to the relief of the St Pat’s defence.

It was all Limerick in the opening half as the Shannonsiders forced Jeff Kenna’s side to play in their own half.

In what was the best chance of the game on 40th minutes for the hosts, David Ryan narrowly put his effort wide from close range. A superb passing combination between David Ryan and Paul Walsh, gave Dave Ryan an opportunity to open the deadlock from close range but his effort from the edge of the six yard box went wide to the delight of St Pat’s.

Despite having the better chances in the opening half, Limerick’s score sheet remained scoreless going into half time, but they caused their Premier Division opposition several nervous moments in the first half.

Jeff Kenna made several tactical changes at half time to try and change his side’s fortunes. The most notable was switching former Limerick FC player John Lester from defence to midfield.

This helped St Pat’s spread the play to the wide players who attacked Limerick’s defence in the second half. Both Bobby Ryan and Ryan Guy began to find space to get in crosses for Mark Quigley and Stuart Byrne. It was substitute Anthony Costigan who found the net in the 68th minute to ensure St Pat’s’ place in the next round. After a scrappy clearance from Brian O’Callaghan, St Pat’s attacked again and their rewarded was a headed goal from Costigan who sent the travelling support into raptures.

The goal was arguably unlucky on the home side after their domination in the first half, but Limerick did not take their opportunities and a more clinical Premier Divisionside, took their chance in the second half to book their place in the fourth round.

In the remaining twenty minutes St Pat’s began to show their class as they passed the ball around against a tiring Limerick side.

Despite this, the home side dug deep and nearly came close in the remaining minutes but centre back Jamie Wuncsh, couldn’t find his finishing boots, as Enda Stevens cleared the ball from under his feet, as the final whistle beckoned.

Limerick FC: David Ryan, Brendan Daly, Brian O’Callaghan, Jamie Wunsch, Martin Deady, Paul Walsh, Tommy Barrett, Jason Hughes, Shane Tracy, David Ryan, Colin Scanlan.
Substitutes used: John Tierney, Wayne Colbert
Substitutes unused: Brian Collopy, Derek Daly, Stephen Goggins.

St. Patrick’s Athletic FC: Gary Rogers, Noel Haverty, Enda Stevens, David Partridge, Damien Lynch, Ryan Guy, Bobby Ryan, Mark Quigley, Stuart Byrne, Kyle Moran.
Substitutes used: Anthony Costigan, Glen Fitzpatrick.
Substitutes unused: Brendan Clarke, Stephen Lawless, Stephen Fitzpatrick.

Referee: G. Kelly (Cork)

Attendance: 864

Match Report courtesy of