Limerick 37 2 – 1 Monaghan United

Friday 19th September 2008

Limerick 37 captain Pat Purcell fired home an injury time penalty to claim all three points for Limerick at Jackman Park.

Cathal O’Connor had opened the scoring for the visitors from the spot in the 39th minute only to see his effort cancelled out by Paul Danaher on the stroke of half time. Monaghan started brightly, passing crisply and forcing three corners inside the opening five minutes.

Lims responded in the 9th minute, Tommy Barrett winning possession in midfield before feeding Gary Sheehan’s on the right – but the Blues striker put too much pace on his low cross. Sean Brennan drove a free kick from the left into the side netting with the Limerick defence expecting a cross to the far post.

At the other end, Sheehan’s 22nd minute lob-cum-shot – the only strike on target from either side up to that point – was dealt with by United keeper Danny Woods as the game struggled to find a pattern. But Mike Kerley’s side were unlucky not to open the scoring on the half hour when Purcell’s header from a Tommy Lyons corner hit the post and ran across the face of the goal.

Tierney was then taken down on the edge of the box – but the same player drove his free kick from the right over the bar.Mons opened the scoring five minutes from the break after Danaher was harshly adjudged to have held back O’Connor inside the box.

O’Connor, who looked as surprised as the vast majority of people in the ground that he was awarded a spot kick, converted from twelve yards. However, the visitors advantage was short lived as Danaher redeemed his alleged offence by heading home a Tommy Barrett flick on from a Brendan Daly cross on the stroke of half time.

Lyons ballooned a free kick over one minute after the re-start after Dave Ryan was fouled on the edge of the box. And as Lims continued to press, Ryan came within inches of getting his toe to a 54th minute Sheehan cross from the right on the edge of the six yard box.

Monaghan finally had a shot on target 28 minutes into the second half, Sean Brennan breaking free to the right of the area only to see his low drive well saved by Ryan. Brennan then hit a post with a 25 yard free kick as United sought a winner.

However, Tierney and Chimka Manjor both brought out fine saves from Woods late on before Purcell’s last gasp intervention.

Limerick 37: Ryan, Daly, Cleary, Danaher, Purcell, Barrett, Lyons, Hughes, Sheehan (Manjor 79), Tierney, Ryan (Scanlon 68)

Monaghan Utd: Woods, Reilly, Clancy, Malone, Mooney, Tierney, O’Connor (Hand 78), McCrossan, Hanaphy (Scully 70), Brennan, Cartland

Ref: G Kelly (Cork)

Match Report courtesy of